Social Media Updates for August 2017
Keep on top of the latest news, changes, and updates in social media all in one place! This month features Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, and Pinterest.
New exciting options for creating custom ad audiences
Facebook has added some new options that many of us have been waiting for! You can now create custom audiences from:
- Facebook events on your page (not available for Groups...yet?)
- Instagram business profile followers
- Video viewers on Instagram
And remember, whenever you create a custom audience, you can then create a lookalike audience which is great when your custom audience is too small or you need to reach a wider group of people.
There have been a slew of updates to groups recently. Some of these apply to all groups, and unfortunately some only apply to groups that have 250+ members:
- Group Insights (only available for groups over 250 members)
- Membership request filtering - this will make it easier for you to find the most relevant requests if you are feeling overwhelmed
- Member clean up - when you remove a member from the group, you can also remove all of their posts & comments in one click
- Scheduled posts - no need to use a 3rd party solution if you don't want to
- Recommend other groups - you can highlight other groups that you want people to join - helpful if you have multiple groups or are partnering up with someone else
Faster websites will now get more visibility in your newsfeed, especially on mobile. If you have an old clunky website, now is definitely the time to update!
Wondering if your website is fast enough? Google will test it for you right here! I did mine, and I've got some work to do!
Messenger Ads now available
You can now run ads that will open messenger conversations with people who click 'Learn More'. You can choose to engage personally in the conversation, or provide some targeted information via a bot.
Live Video is (almost) here
LinkedIn is catching up with almost every other social media network by adding live video to the mix. Currently, video is only available via the mobile app - if you don't see the video icon when you go to post an update, keep checking! It is gradually rolling out to everyone in the next few weeks.
Share Counts Disappearing
If you have those social sharing buttons on your website that show the number of times something has been shared, the number for G+ shares will be going away soon. If this is something that is of vital importance to you, developers can still pull this number from Google, so if your buttons are missing the number you'll need to look for another set of buttons that shows it.
hashtags are back!
You can now search for hashtags on Pinterest and any hashtags you put in a pin description will be clickable. I recommend only putting a couple of hashtags in - don’t go crazy like it’s Instagram. Even better, include a branded hashtag so that it’s easy for people to see more of your pins.